Now with taking these Library courses, educating myself further, and having this experience of being the lost student, it only motivates me that much more to ensure students have these vital skills before they reach the post secondary level.
It was only during this course did I become aware of the numerous databases our district subscribes to. It makes me wonder how many classroom teachers are also not aware of these, or if they are, how many of them are still not using them.
![]() |
| http://www3.sd73.bc.ca/general/content/district-digital-reference-library |
First, as a former sales person I understand the need to keep prices confidential. While it is not "fair" to everyone concerned, businesses exist to make money. Incentives offered to some customers are often subsidized by others who either cannot reach the same economies of scale (discounts for very large orders), or lack the same skill at negotiating their contracts. No matter the reason, each district/school will make its decisions based on what they are prepared to pay or are able to pay. From the buyer's perspective, a true belief that they have reached the best price available (and every buyer wants to think they have) means that they'll "keep the supplier's price secret" in order to secure their price.
This is one of the reasons why I think it is wonderful that our district negotiates and pays for these subscriptions instead of leaving it up the the individual schools. Firstly, library budgets would not be able to afford it, especially this many databases, and secondly, it makes more financial sense to pool users in able to secure a better deal.
In closing, I think electronic databases are wonderful. When I went back to University for my Special Education Diploma, they helped me out immensely as a lot of research was required for the various assignments and papers and don't know what I would have done without them. Better late than never!
Works Cited:
School District #73. "District Digital Reference Library." Kamloops Thompson School District No.
73. Board of Education of School District No. 73, 2009. Web. 05 July 2011.
<http://www3.sd73.bc.ca/general/content/district-digital-reference-library>.

I agree with all your points. By the way, the NFB offering is free and I'm also surprised that Histori.ca is also not on the front page in your school division.
ReplyDeleteOverall, it's a nice set of DBs.